One question we always ask frequent travellers and our stylish friends: what is your perfect travel wardrobe? It’s a question that doesn’t get old because you can never be short on stylish packing tips (trust us, even our secrets are constantly evolving). This time we enlist the guidance of Emily Evans, who, as the fashion expert for Ann Taylor, knows a thing or two about jetting around the globe and packing just the essentials in her carry-on. Here are her top 6 tips for the ultimate travel wardrobe.
1. Stop the Over-Packing Your Travel Wardrobe (You Seriously Don’t Need All that Stuff)
“Over-packing is the number-one mistake when prepping for a vacation,” says Evans. “It makes your bag heavy, difficult to carry, and causes your morning routine to take much longer than necessary.” So save yourself the time, hassle and extra baggage fees by having a clear itinerary for your trip, advises Evans. “With a little time and planning you can streamline your packing process, which will save you time and energy once you reach your destination.”
2. The Secret to Packing Carry-On Travel Wardrobe
“When packing a carry-on, it is crucial to include layering pieces that are versatile. This way you can mix and match pieces to create different looks without packing your entire wardrobe,” says Evans. “Reach for staple pieces that you can dress up or down depending on the occasion. For example, the Ann Taylor denim button front skirt is a versatile staple that can be styled in several ways.”
3. How Many Shoes Do You Honestly Need?
“Shoes are often the culprit of an overstuffed suitcase, so try to limit your options when packing. While it depends on the duration of the trip and the destination, you can usually get away with packing three pairs: a comfortable flat for walking all day, a slide that is easy to slip on and off at the airport, and a fun heel. If you’re headed to a beach destination, I would switch out the flat for a summery espadrille sandal.”
4. Five Key Travel Wardrobe Pieces You Can Take Anywhere In the World
1. Your favourite pair of jeans “I love the Relaxed Slim Denim Jeans.“
2. Crisp white button-down “The Short Sleeve Perfect Shirt is my go-to button-down.”
3. Lightweight jacket “The Linen Blend Moto Jacket is lightweight and refined.”
4. Flattering wrap dress “The Dot Pleated Wrap Dress is perfect for travel.”
5. Slip-on shoe that makes airport security a breeze “The Nadia Suede Tassel Slides are quick to slip on.”
5. Pack These Fabrics
“Poly blend fabrics travel best, as they are less likely to wrinkle.,” says Evans. “Cotton is also a great option because the fabric is easy to steam out once you get to your destination.”
6. Beauty Staples for Your Carry-On
- Hand sanitizer for airport travel.
- A dermatologist-approved sunscreen for face and body (Evans loves eltaMD Broad-spectrum).
- A tinted moisturizer for light coverage and protection (Nars Velvet Matte Skin Tint with SPF is Evans’ go-to).
- A facial spray to refresh and fight dehydration at the beach (Shiseido Ibuki Quick Fix Mist keeps Evans cool).