We’re finally ready to travel again, but picking a destination can be tricky to get back into the travel game. So why not go for a destination that has it all, for any type of traveller? That’s why Scottsdale, Arizona is the perfect escape you have been dreaming of this pandemic.
330 Days Of Sunshine In Scottsdale, Arizona
There’s a reason why Canadians love Scottsdale–the weather is amazing with 330 days of sunshine, so you’re pretty much guaranteed to get some extra Vitamin D. But it’s also truly a destination that fits any type of traveller, on any budget level. It’s not just pools and sunshine–there are so many activities to do outside, incredible dining options, beautiful hotels and great family-oriented ideas.
It’s So Easy To Get To Scottsdale
There are so many flight options out of most major Canadian hubs including Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver. The flight time is just under 5 hours from Toronto–so you can leave early and get there in time to still have a mimosa with breakfast. And you can plan to go now for a spring getaway, or plan early for fall, but don’t discount summer! As temperatures rise, rates go down. You can often stay in some of Scottsdale’s finest resorts for up to 60 percent off peak season rates.
Scottsdale Is Your New Foodie Destination
If you’re like me, you travel for the food! And Scottsdale has more than 800 restaurants, making it a booming foodie destination. Young and seasoned chefs are taking over the city one dish at a time–and there are options for vegetarians, meat lovers and wine and beer lovers.
- You can stop by FnB, home of 2019 James Beard Best Chef in the Southwest Charleen Badman. It’s famous for Arizona wine and locally sourced ingredients.
- Walk Old Town Scottsdale’s wine trail, featuring 6 AZ wine tasting rooms
- Or if wine isn’t your thing, you can partake in Scottsdale’s Ale Trail (8 breweries) or you can even caffeinate your way through Scottsdale on the Coffee Trail
- Great al fresco dining and great happy hour deals – one of my favourite things to do is have a sunset cocktail with a prickly pear margarita
Bring The Family To Scottsdale, Arizona
Whether you’re traveling with toddlers, teens or kids in between, Scottsdale offers plenty of sun and fun for the whole family.
I think Scottsdale’s unique Sonoran Desert is the perfect setting for a family vacation. It’s all about the outdoor activities to keep everyone active, but you can also learn about the desert’s unique ecosystem to embracing your inner cowboy with:
- Horseback riding
- Hot air balloon flight
- Off-road tours in the desert
- Musical Instrument Museum
- Arizona Boardwalk – this entertainment complex is home to OdySea Aquarium, Butterfly Wonderland and Pangaea Land of the Dinosaurs. There’s even the Polar Play Ice Bar that welcomes all ages to come in, cool off (literally) and enjoy ice sculptures, games and refreshments.
- Desert Botanical Garden
- Phoenix Zoo
Another great perk for families is at the resorts. Many resorts are a one-stop-shop with on-property water parks including lazy rivers, slides and simulated surfing. Or take in a dive-in movie. Many offer great kids’ camps.
Scottsdale, Arizona For The Adventure Seekers
330 Days of annual sunshine = perfect weather for outdoor adventures of all kinds. And it’s not just desert in Scottsdale, which most people assume!
- There are 6 lakes within a one-hour drive of downtown Scottsdale and 2 Rivers ideal for rafting, kayaking, tubing, canoeing, fishing and birdwatching
- Kayak the Lower Salt River where if you’re lucky you’ll spot wild horses and maybe even a bald eagle. I have done this and it is incredibly fun!
- The McDowell Sonoran Preserve has 225 miles of trails (more than 400 miles of trails in all of Scottsdale!). 36 Designated climbing areas in Scottsdale’s McDowell Sonoran Preserve
- You can also mountain bike, horseback ride or soar over the desert in a hot air balloon
Don’t Forget The Spas in Scottsdale, Too
R&R looks different for everyone. For me it’s indulging in the spa, and with 50+ resorts and day spas, Scottsdale, Arizona has plenty to choose from. So many spas really lean into desert-inspired treatments that use everything from the cactus, herbs and citrus that grow in the region.
- I’m dying to try the Four Season Nopal Massage. It includes warm cactus gel using cactus paddles placed directly on the skin.
- There is also the Phoenician Sonoran Wellness Scrub, Massage & Wrap with Salt crystals and desert sage and wild lavender for a smoothing body polish.
- And just in case your face needs some extra love, the Andaz Cactus Life & Tone Facial is the perfect way to refresh your skin with apple stem cells, natural botanicals, fruit acids, cactus extract.
But I know for so many a trip to Scottsdale isn’t complete without hitting the golf courses! And with over 50 courses in Scottsdale and another 150 in the area, it’s hard to choose. And again, there’s something for every level–from pro to the non-golfer who is just looking to have some fun.
For more information, visit ExperienceScottsdale.com is a great place to start planning out your next trip to Scottsdale, Arizona.
This article was sponsored by ExperienceScottsdale.com.